Saturday, January 10, 2015

Backstory

So this was really meant to be my first post on this cleaned out/revamped blog. I've read blogs, I've blogged for work and family but never really been a "blogger". I like to write books and I like to read them even more so I tend to view things from a writer's perspective, occasionally hearing a narrative in my head or seeing someone at the store and thinking, "I wonder what their story is." Because honestly, that's the thing. Everyone has a story but you rarely ever get to KNOW it.

Mine is well...I worked my way through college with plans on being an editor and an author. Of course, the whole deal was a catch-22 really because every place I looked into wanted someone with the schooling AND the experience. The catch being I had to work 50 hours a week for a company that did tuition reimbursement in order afford college so I didn't have the time to get the experience other than editing my work and that of friends and family which doesn't really play out on the resume' deal.

So I changed jobs, was promoted to a supervisor position and during that time I worked on my book Deadly Pride and found a publishing house to publish it-yay! Not long after I became a mom. I was able to continue juggling things: work, kid, 50's housewife cleaning/cooking but my writing took a dive. I was lucky that I'd finished the sequel to Deadly Pride and written Immortal Protector during my pregnancy-I knew it'd be a long time before I was writing again and boy was I right! In fact, this is probably the most writing I've done since I had my daughter.

When my daughter was nearly 2, things became too hard-hard on her and on me with the separation and well my company was cutting people. I became a full-time mom. So now I've had to start budgeting things differently. I started clipping coupons-gasp! Which I'd never done before because I wasn't worried about the money and honestly didn't have the time. I got on coupons.com but that still wasn't enough. And doing online surveys which can sometimes be more time consuming than they're worth when you have a toddler clamoring for your attention. Recently I read Point, click, and save: Mashup mom's guide to saving and making money online. Now I have subscribed to so many coupons/savings/deals newsletters I'm bombarded most every day as well as on freelance sites where even now, I still hope to land an editing gig. As much as I love to read, I can't imagine a better job because when you edit, you don't need to worry about writer's block!

So for blogging on this site, it may be for deals, experiences, parent/child activities and perhaps the occasional book posting-either something I've read or written or tried to write. I also am trying to jump start my author site so we'll see how both or either of them go. The key to writing they say, is just write and I've been tapped for creative energy lately but being an English major, I can ramble on with the best of them. :) Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment